Wednesday, February 28, 2018

My Career Ethical Dilemma


Now and then people face ethical dilemmas either at the workplace or something personal.  Ethics ask, “What we should do in some circumstance, or what we should do as participants in some form of activity or profession.”  Stephen J. A. Ward, (264).  However, in my case I had a career dilemma.  I was hired for a job and without warning,  I was jobless but, it didn’t stop me from being the best that I can be.  When I don’t get my way sometimes, I understand later on that there is something better out there for me; I just haven’t gotten there yet.
It’s always exciting to get a new job; especially when you’re leaving from a job that you do not like.  I have been working at my new job as a cashier for about two weeks.  Then after those weeks passed my cousin was having her wedding in OK., I was in.  I was gone for about 3 days, when I got back into town.  I called Kyle Fletchers, where I worked to ask when they wanted me to come back to work and every time I called they said will call you back and let you know.  Well days and days later they never called.  That wasn’t the way I wanted things to end up obviously.  I was very disappointed because they never gave me a reason why they didn’t want me to return. I was stuck without a job and I hated it.  I kept thinking to myself, “Good things come to those who wait” Violet Fane.  That’s what my parents always taught me and I know between that and what my pastor at church has taught me, I knew I couldn’t give up.
 
I was feeling down at first but, every day I sent out job applications for a month straight till I finally got another job.  I know it was the determination and want for something better that landed me a more stable job than I’ve had in the past.  I would call this dilemma the utilitarian approach.  The utilitarian approach is about increasing the good and decreasing the harm.  This approach also says it, “Deals with consequences; it tires both to increase the good done and to reduce the harm done.”  Velasquez et al. (274) I believe this is what happened for me.  I didn’t feel like I fitted in at Kyle’s.  However, right when I started my job at Tony’s ice cream I felt right at home.  I strongly believe if I’m going to work somewhere where I am going to be there a lot of the time I want it to be a business that I enjoy and enjoy the coworkers as well.  This job for me produced the most good for sure.  I stayed employed there for a little over a year and made and met some great friends and strangers who I became friends with in my hometown.


While searching for something better I used the virtue approach.  This approach overall is about character.  It states, “Virtues are dispositions and habits that enable us to act according to the highest potential of our character and on behalf of values like truth and beauty.” Velasquez et al (277) When I was jobless I never let that be a sign for me to just give up.  I knew that I deserved the best and that I would reach to my highest potential.  Virtue is about love, being honest, self-control, prudence, and potential.  Velasquez et al (277). If I didn’t have any of those aspects in my life I wouldn’t have reached my goal of a new job.  Having these virtues can be really healthy for day to day living.
It’s important to never give up and become a better person.  There are obviously going to be challenges like one day having a job and the next day jobless but giving up isn’t the answer.  Being a Christian for me helps me to make choices to guide me through life.  Having the utilitarian approach and increasing the good and reducing the harm is the way to go through life to succeed.  Furthermore, having the virtue approach helps me to reach my highest potential, honesty, self-control, prudence, love and many other virtuous acts through everyday life!














1 comment:

  1. Life will throw all kind of obstacles that we will never be prepared for or see coming. We must have faith and believe that everything will be alright. Some things are not meant for us to understand. When one door closes another will open. You were virtuous, used your resources and never went against your morals. Your character did not change because of your situation and you didn't let it define who you were. A lot of people handle things in a negative way when things don't go the way they want it to.

    ReplyDelete

Storytelling

What makes for a great movie?   Well the answer to that is having a good hook that captures the viewers.   What is a hook? “It is simply a...